Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bedroom Progress...Tackle it Tuesday!

For "Tackle It Tuesday" I'm still working on our bedroom. These things always take longer than you think they will. But here is a peek at how it's going. This is the top of my hubby's dresser. As you can see we will be having more of a shabby cottage look (I hope) than true shabby chic. My furniture has great shapes that would look adorable painted white, but like Jan, I can't bring myself to do that....it's really nicely finished, good quality oak. So I'm going with the wood with some white accents. Like this great vintage beveled mirror. I've had it a long time and it has the perfect, authentic worn finish.


I love the color. It's a Dutch Boy color from walmart called Little Bluebird....I like Ace's paint better though, so I had them color match it.

One of the great things about redoing a room is getting all the clutter cleaned out. When I was cleaning under the bed I found this cross stitch floral. Maybe I knew I was going to go shabby chic one of these days. Isn't it pretty? There were two and I sold one. What was I thinking?! If I had two I could hang the pair over the bed.

There is nothing under our bed now. Hallelujah! I threw away several big bags of stuff.


See, wouldn't that bed be pretty painted white? Well it's not going to happen. I'll just have to keep tweaking until I get perfect cottage look....with some wood. After all, most of the old lake cottages I've been in have a mixture of wood and painted furniture, so surely I can make it work.

Tackle It Tuesday Meme
For more Tackle It Tueday posts click here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your house. You have wonderful decorating taste.
Great Tackle.

robin@heartofwisdom.com
http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

Peggy said...

It's sooo pretty! I love the color of the wall. For some reason the earlier pictures made it look golden to me instead of blue. I also like Ace paint...of course, living with a painter who won't use anything else could be the reason. I find it hard to paint wood as well. If it's really nice I won't, but if it is yucky like most of the wood around our house I don't hesitate. LOL So what did your husband think?

pedalpower said...

It was golden Dot. the picture in the previous post was when I had just started painting the ceiling white...before the ceiling was honey colored and the walls were gold. I'm loving this fresher light blue.

Funny you ask about what my hubby thought..when he walked in (while I was still painting) he looked around with this funny look on his face. My heart fell. I asked him why he looked like he didn't like it and he said it was the same color as his boyhood room. Yikes. I told him to wait and it would look nothing like a boy's room....he seems to like how it's turning out now that we are getting it all put together. Now we both feel better about it!

Jan~Feather Your Nest Antiques said...

Blue is my color, my whole house is blue, so I love, love the color of your room (and the name of the color, bluebird...how cute).Your quilt looks good since you got it on your bed too.And here's to the cottage look, may it forever reign in our hearts!

Anonymous said...

Cottage style is such a mixture, that's what is great about it. Painted furniture mixed with some wood pieces, chandeliers, quilts, duvets, you've got it going on girl, just keep doin what you are doing. That is what makes cottage style so fun. The sky is the limit. And I so get what you mean about walking into the room as a stranger.....we are silly aren't we.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Cami said...

It took me a long time to paint anything white. A long time. I have all white painted furniture in the master now. But it's over the top girly cottage. Love your rose pic. It's delightful. Needlework of any kind is become such a treasure.

Ms.Daisy said...

I like your color choices...I am a big fan of blue, also! You are doing a really nice job...can't wait to see the finished room!

Ms. Daisy

Peggy said...

I love seeing your clock on the nightstand. It really bugs me when I try to use a magazine picture as inspiration, but they leave out the necessities. But yours is real and beautiful all at the same time. I would like to see more of that.