Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 3...Rensselaer to Culver

We left Rensselaer and ran across an accident site which was, of course, still covered in glass. At first we thought we avoided a flat, but before long my tire was flat. Joe fixed it and off we went....

for a few tenths of a mile and then Joe's tire was flat! He fixed that one too of course.

While he was fixing flats, I knit another pattern repeat on my current pair of socks. And I must tell you that my knitting bag came in handy....because it contained the only pair of scissors we had to trim down the rim tape for fixing the flat tire!

At one point we had to walk about 3/4 of a mile over gravel and this farm dog kept us company for that and another 2 miles. I hope he found his way back home!

The flats put us behind schedule and Grandpa Joe showed up and carried us 10 miles to lunch! God bless Grandpa Joe.
All in all we had a great day of riding with the wind at our backs! We enjoyed looking for signs that we were back in Indiana again:

Hills! I love hills....the hills drain your body, but the flatlands drain your mind.
Give me the hills any day.

classy mail boxes :o)

charming farmhouses,

Roadsides left mostly wild...I love this. It provides so much more cover for wildlife. In Illinois, the roadsides and all of the ditch are almost always mowed or burned...and believe me, we have less pheasant and other birds because of it. We also have less....

milkweed, for the monarch butterfly population, of course. We saw lots of it on day 3.

We arrived at The Black Horse Inn in Culver, Indiana just as it was getting dark. It's a lovely place, set far back from the road. In all, we rode 50 miles on the bikes and 10 in Grandpa's truck.

There were black horses from Culver Academy in the field behind the pool. And in the morning there were wild turkey and deer in the front yard.

What did I learn today?
  • I love hills!
  • Never ride unless you have a grandpa willing to be on call.
  • It's good to bike with a knitter...they have handy stuff in their bags.
 
 

2 comments:

Peggy said...

What beautiful pics! And what lessons learned! I hope you are having the time of your life.

Kathleen Pequignot said...

I had no idea you were such a biker! LOL This trip sounds wonderful, and you must be in marvelous shape to endure the terrain by bicycle. WOW. Love the blog entries!