Saturday, September 19, 2009

Biking to Ft. Wayne...day1

First of all, I had to leave this little guy home....so hard to do! He's so used to going with me. He's going to be spoiled though, staying with Nana and Papa.

So here we are all fresh and ready to go.

We got a kind of late start getting out at about 11 o'clock. We weren't too worried though because today is a short day at only 45 miles. I have to tell you though...I'm pretty tired after that 45 and I ate a huge steak for dinner, and finished it all!

Here's Joe up ahead of me. The trailer used to contain our kids, but now it contains snacks, clothes, and ibuprofen. For those of you who don't live near us, this is the Illinois prairie. Around us, this counts as a hill! LOL It may be flat here, but the wind was against us the entire way and made it quite a workout.

And here he is behind me! I suppose I should have a trailer and carry my fare share, but I'm pretty certain that God made men so much stronger for a reason.

What have I learned today?
  • An ipod is an excellent idea on a trip like this. I'm not the sort who has to talk all the time (unless I'm with my girlfriend Peggy) and I like quiet and time to think, but even I was glad for the tunes after hours of listening to the wind rush by.
  • Eat a good breakfast before you leave (duh). I forgot to eat breakfast and had to stop pretty soon for some fruit.
  • Pack Benadryl. For some reason I ended up with hives all over one leg...hasn't happened to me in years.
  • 45 miles is a long way. Tomorrow we are going to go 60 miles :oO

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

Wow, chickie. That's some serious biking you got going on there! Good luck and have a safe trip.

Renee said...

Wow, that's a lot of pedaling!
Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Ellie Alexander said...

You are my hero!

Judy @ daily yarns said...

What a super thing to do Joyce. I love the bikes, they don't look like they're hard on the backs going 45 miles on them.

SEO Services India said...

Nice Post.