Thursday, September 03, 2009

Loom Knitting

A few posts ago I showed you how the younger generation of our family is starting to get in to crafting. When I visited my sister's home for my niece's bridal shower last weekend, there was once again a bunch of crafting going on. My niece, Nicole, has decided she likes loom knitting better than knitting on needles, and she is making a baby blanket on a cool wooden loom she purchased at Jo Ann Fabrics.

The way she has the loom set up she is making a double knit fabric, so this will be a really warm baby blanket. You can also set it up to make a single knit panel or to knit in the round.

Nicole works with her hands all day making dentures and partials, and she found knitting the traditional way too taxing for her tired hands. This method seems to work much better for her. here she's lifting the loops over after lacing the yarn around the pegs.

And then she pulls down on the fabric she's making to tighten the stitches.

Little cousin Jamie got to try it too...maybe another knitter in the making? While all that was going on I was teaching my sister-in-law and niece to knit the traditional way. Fun day!

3 comments:

Marilyn in NM said...

Loom knitting looks like lots of fun especially for young ones.
I saw you on Ravelry and was happy to find that you are a blog I visit often. I have a decorating, sort of, blog but am loving knitting more than anything and spend most of my time on Ravelry or looking at knitting blogs. It's a small world when you can connect through Ravelry and blogs...lol.
Marilyn in NM
knittinmar on Ravelry

Renee said...

What a great way to knit when the traditional way bothers her hands. I really enjoy seeing young people getting into being crafty. :)

Peggy said...

I've tried knitting and for some reason I cannot get my stitches loose enough...I always end up with hand cramps from the tight stitches. Maybe loom knitting would work for me!