Thursday, March 05, 2009

Small Town Girl in Chicago: Main Street Conference

I spent the last four days in Chicago attending the National Main Street conference...it was fun, tiring and I learned a lot about downtown revitalization. I always like going into the city....plenty of great architecture to check out. We stayed at the Palmer House Hilton. The last time I was in this hotel, it was elegant, but in need of attention. Since then, it has undergone a beautiful restoration...it's a lovely old hotel.

Here's folks filtering in to the opening session. There were about 1600 in attendance.



The lobby has such a beautiful ceiling and a great atmosphere.


Here's my friend Lori walking past the bean...er, Cloud Gate.

This is one of my favorite Chicago buildings...the old library, now the Chicago Cultural Center. This dome is by Healy and Millet.

Preston Bradly Hall in the Cultural Center is completely covered in the most beautiful mosaics, all lit by a huge (the world's largest) Tiffany dome and Tiffany light fixtures (not in the photo, but trust me, they are fabulous!). They don't build them like this anymore.


Lots of great public art in Chicago....taking a walk is a pleasure even on one of those cold Chicago days. As soon as it warms up a little I want to go back up to do some drawing in the city...I have to go alone or with another sketcher when I do that because no one else wants to sit still long enough to draw.

And when I came home I found the orchid on my kitchen window sill is blooming again...it must like it there. Brightens my day to see this in the morning!

3 comments:

Judy said...

Your orchid is beautiful...I haven't had one in years. Great pictures...Can you believe that I have never seen the "bean", only in pictures, just never seem to make it there.

Kris said...

Beautiful orchid. I would smile every morning too.

Your photo's of Chicagos buildings are absolutely stunning. I visited C'town for the first time last Nov. My son graduated Naval basic training and we drove up for a very short weekend. I've since wanted to go back and do some exploring. I think we will plan a few days in the spring or summer. I'll make sure to visit these historic buildings.

Have a happy day

Kris

Peggy said...

You have a way of pointing out the beauty all around you. That is one of your special traits! Thanks for sharing the pics!